Resource for Historians, Educators, Students and Visitors since 1997
When people think of the critical role Lake Champlain played during the War of 1812, Plattsburgh and Vergennes are the cities that come to mind. There is good reason for this, the role these towns played is important. Few would think of Burlington. That is unfortunate, for the Village of Burlington did play a vital role in the defense of the Lakes.
As early as June 1812 troops were building a Battery along the lake. This earthen embankment, with some thirteen embrasures, was built by Lt. Sylvester Churchill, upon the high bluff were Battery Park is now located.
Left: Map showing
the Burlington, Vermont area in 1914
Round about Burlington, Vt. 1900 Charles S.
Lord Winooski, Vermont: Vermont Illustrating Company.
Before long, a major military presence was established at Burlington.
The Commander of the Cantonment, Colonel Isaac Clark, purchased a 10-acre lot
adjacent to the Battery. The Army base was located in the two-block area now
fronted by Park and Front Streets. Extending approximately from Pearl to North
Street, the base consisted of some 14 buildings. The Soldier's Barracks was a
crude single-story, wooden structure, measuring approximately 110'x18'. Situated
it was the more substantially built, two-story Officer's Quarters. This building
measured some 60'x18'. The hospital was by far the largest structure on the
post. It was 300' long, 20' wide, boasted two stories and a large
cellar. There were storehouses, gun sheds, magazines, and a guardhouse-
all needed to supply a standing army.2
In July 1813, General Wade Hampton arrived in Burlington to command the forces for the invasion of Canada. However, before he set out, the British struck first. On August 2 at approximately 2:30 pm; fresh from attacks upon Plattsburgh, New York and Swanton, Vermont; three ships, the Broke, the Shannon, and a row galley under the command of Lt. Colonel John Murray appeared off Burlington. Ironically, just 60 days previously these same ships were under American flag, they had been captured and refitted by the British after being lost in an ill-fated misadventure in the Richelieu River. They took to bombarding the battery, making much of a stir but actually doing little damage. After attacking the battery, the British continued south, towards Shelburne Bay, where they captured several private vessels. One of these, Gideon King's 50-ton sloop Essex, was burned to the waterline after an unsuccessful attempt to tow her back to Canada. Although Macdonough had a sizable fleet on hand in Burlington-three sloops, two schooners, two one-gun scows and a floating battery, he opted not to chase the enemy at this time. (For a more complete account of Murray’s' Raid, click here.) Macdonough's instructions were to regain control of the lakes, he would do this only by continuing to build and maintain the size of his fleet. After all, there was an arms race underway. The British were furiously building a large fleet at Isle aux Noix. 4
Again, the ominous specter of a North Country winter hovered over the garrison. With the snow came disease, and the smaller number of troops suffered as well. One Burlington resident is quoted as saying, "Several hundred died weekly, and it was not uncommon to find that twenty had died in a night."5. The militia went home, and the regular army huddled in its barracks. As troops came to the city and then embarked off for the front, the garrison alternately swelled and shrunk in size. Housing continued to be a problem and the Army entered into negotiations with the University of Vermont, hoping to lease the college building for a temporary barracks. Vermont governor Martin Chittenden, never a supporter of the war, was outraged. He complained of federal troops "ranging without constraint through the halls..." This group of soldiers, known as the College Cantonment, was a constant thorn in the side of the college's neighbors. Many a hapless trooper was court-martialed for thievery from the citizens on the hill. Among the punishments meted out was confinement in ball and chain for up to 30 days.6
As the 1814 campaign opened, Burlington continued to be used as a staging ground for the unsuccessful attacks against Canada. Finally, in September, a massive British army crossed the border into the United States at Champlain, New York. The immediate target was Plattsburgh and the huge munitions depot there. The hospital again became severely overcrowded with the arrival of 400 sick and wounded evacuated from Crab Island*. What American forces lacked on the ground, however, they more than made up for on the water. On September 11, 1814, General George Prevost sailed his mighty fleet to defeat at Plattsburgh. Commodore Thomas Macdonough, together with General Alexander Macomb, successfully turned the tide against the British in this significant victory. It is safe to state that many, if not all of the American forces that took part in the great victory, had at one time been stationed in Burlington.
By 1817, the Army had abandoned the facility. The Army sent Col. H. Atkinson, together with Lt. Colonel G.T. Totten to make a recommendation as to how to dispose of the once bustling Burlington Cantonment. Their report to the Secretary of War, issued August 16, 1817 makes for fascinating reading. Their recommendation was to sell the property, a hundred acre wood lot to the north being the key selling point. The report that "the Barracks were slightly built, and are falling to pieces" is especially telling. Continuing in their description of the Barracks- "...there is not a post, stud, or brace in the sides or ends of the whole building... the whole of the Barracks are put together in the corsest (sic) manner...' the cracks between the edges of the planks that form the walls are stopped with battens. These buildings were never fit to put troops in, only on temporary cases of emergency, in the summer months, and are not now worth preserving...".7
beautiful Battery Park stands as a testimony to the military
encampment that once was here. There is a small memorial tablet
commemorating the bombardment of the battery (incidentally,
the plaque is incorrect- the date is listed as June 13; the
actual attack was on August 2, 1813. Also the "gunboats"
were two sloops and a row galley) and some statues and
memorials to veterans of later American wars, but no mention
of Thomas Macdonough or Alexander Macomb. Directly opposite
the park, Monroe Street is still named after the President in
the White House at the time. Aging homes now fill the area where
the barracks stood. Children play in the swings and slides
where the parade
ground was located. Many of the city streets are named
for prominent military men who served at the garrison.
mention of the soldiers who suffered and died here, one must
go further down North Avenue to
Lake View Cemetery. Here amidst
several dozen tiny headstones, each graced with a small American
flag, one will find a memorial to Burlington's Unknown.
Doubtless, many of these unknown are the soldiers who did not
survive the winter of the War of 1812.
* "Apprehensive that the sick would fall into the hands of the enemy... it was suggested to transport as many as were able to be moved in open bateaus to Burlington. The weather had been boisterous, and passage unsafe in small boats; but providentially, the winds subsided, and the waters became smooth; so that they arrived on the opposite shore without any unpleasant accident in small detachments; the last on the day of the memorable action, between the fleets. The patients, at Burlington, found comfortable accommodations; their number, at this time, amounted to 815; 50 of whom were wounded. The evils arising from crowded wards were soon perceived; but could not, under existing circumstances, be remedied..."8 (italics added)
1Karen Stites Campbell, "Propaganda, Pestilence and Prosperity:
Burlington's Camptown Days During the War of 1812" (VERMONT HISTORY- The proceedings of the Vermont Historical
Society, Summer 1996) 138.
Last modified: 11/10/2012
Help Support This Site. Visit our Book Shop!
*America's Historic Lakes is a favorite of educators around the world. You can
feel confident that the material
on this site is accurate, well-researched, properly cited and presented.
America's Historic Lakes by James P. Millard and Guest Contributors is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
James P. Millard
Post Office Box 262
South Hero, Vermont 05486-0262
Terms of Service and Disclaimer of Liability
The historical information on this web site is provided as a public service by James P. Millard. I have attempted to be as accurate as possible in my presentation of this historical material. However, I make no claims, guarantees or promises about the accuracy, currency, or completeness of the information provided. In no event shall the publisher; James P. Millard, be liable for any errors or omissions with respect to any information on this site. Material submitted by guest contributors and published on the site is the property of the contributor and may be removed at any time at my discretion or upon request of the contributor. This website occasionally provides links to sites of other organizations maintained by third parties. These links do not constitute an endorsement of the content, viewpoint, accuracy, opinions, policies, products, services, or accessibility of that website. Links to third-party websites are provided as a public service and convenience to users of our site; James P. Millard/America’s Historic Lakes does not control, endorse or recommend the content on sites we may link to. Once connected to another website, you are subject to the terms and conditions of that website.