Click here to learn more about this site Click here to return to our home page Click here to visit our "clickable" map of local historic sites Click here to visit Part I of our huge two-part Table of Contents Click here to visit our Gift Shop. The perfect place for unique and wonderful things! Click here to search the site Click here to learn about using the images and materials published on this site Click here to contact us

The Online Resource for Historians, Educators, Students and Visitors since 1997
This is a graphics-intensive publication, to fully experience the site we recommend you have JavaScript enabled.

Find us on Facebook!
Please consider "liking" our pages on Facebook and following us on Twitter!

Lake Champlain, Lake George, and Richelieu River
HISTORY TIMELINE
By James P. Millard

Part v- BETWEEN THE WARS: Peacetime in the New Nation
MAY 1778- SEPTEMBER 1811

If you find this material of interest, be sure to check out our new
"Lake Passages" .
A chronological history of the region in greatly-expanded book form.
Complete with illustrations, maps and photos!

A must-have for students of the region's remarkable history!

Spelling and punctuation in quotes are as found in the original. Black text with underlines indicates a hyperlink.

1778

May 6, 1778
"Ethan Allen, prisoner of war in England, exchanged for Lieut. John Campbell."**

May
31

"Ethan Allen, on his arrival in this country, waited on Gen. Washington at Valley Forge and then returned to Vermont, where he was received with great joy. 'Three cannons were fired that evening, and the next morning Col. Herrick gave orders and fourteen more were discharged' welcoming him to Bennington; 'thirteen for the United States and one for young Vermont."**


December 6, 1778

"Arrival at Quebec of the prisoners taken by Carleton during his raid. Among them were Nathan and Marshall Smith of Bridport, Benjamin Kellogg, Ward and Joseph Everest of Addison, Holcomb Spaulding, two Ferrises, Granby of Panton, and Hinckly of Shoreham. The last two were liberated to care for the women and children, who, after Burgoyne's defeat, had returned to their abandoned homes. Kellogg and Everest had been partners in the carrying trade, owning sloops together. Kellogg, after escaping the following spring and being retaken, died in prison during the winter of '79. Everest succeeded in escaping a second time from his captors and finally reached home. The party escaping from Quebec had only a small sack of flour, a frying pan, hatchet (or tomahawk) and small compass..."**

1779

May 13, 1779
"About midnight, eight of the prisoners captured by Major Carleton, the previous year in his descent from Canada, made their escape, but four were recaptured opposite Quebec, three of them, Ward of Addison, and Nathan and Marshall Smith of Bridport, again effected an escape, and after twenty days of incredible hardships, arrived at Bridport."**

1780

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1780

October 1, 1780
"Gen. Benj. Mooers as adjutant was present and saw the execution of Major Andre- a most affecting sight. while Major John Addoms, his future father-in-law, as well as neighbor on Cumberland Head, was detailed to hold the hat of the unfortunate officer."**

October
16

"Royalton, Vt., burned by Indians. Two men were killed and twenty-six prisoners taken, among them, Sheldon Durkee, a boy of nine, who afterwards settled in Plattsburgh and from whom Durkee street takes its name. His brothers, Andrew and Adan, were also captured, the latter dying a captive in Montreal. The father, Timothy Durkee, was absent on a scout, and as the family fled from home, Sheldon went back for the youngest. Escaping to the bushes, he was seen by an Indian who hurled a tomahawk, which hit him on the back of the head. It was through the brave and persistent efforts of Mrs. Hendee that Sheldon was released with other boys. The savages took thirty horses and killed all the cattle, sheep and swine they could find."**

October
17

"A deep snow covered the ground and the Indian raiders of Royalton, pursued by whites, killed two prisoners and sent back a third with the message that they would kill all if molested. Passing through Randolph, they captured Zadock Steele, whose account of his captivity is well known. The savages then made for Canada by way of the Winooski River and Lake Champlain."**

October
25

"Captain William Chambers wrote from Crown Point on board the
Maria of the arrival, the day previous, of 'the families that were detained at Point au Fer' and that another party, sent for refugees on the eastern shore, was fired upon; adding, that the season was so far advanced that he did not think it 'safe for a vessel to remain at Crown Point' for any more refugees."**

October
27

"Grand Isle, the two Heroes (named for Ethan and Ira Allen) and Vineyard (Isle La Motte) were chartered to Ethan Allen, Samuel Herrick, and other soldiers of the Revolution. In March, 1783, Capt. Ebenezer Allen, Alexander Gordon and Enos Wood visited the township to locate their respective claims. By agreement they were to choose in the order of Wood, Gordon and Allen. Wood chose the south end of the north island; Gordon, the north end of the south island, and Allen, the south end. Within two years fourteen pioneers, most of them with large families, came. The Allens were all natives of Massachusetts. Col. Ebenezer Allen, a first settler of Poultney, and officer under Herrick, had led the defence, in Sept., 1777, against the British post on Mount Defiance and on the retreat of Burgoyne's army, had captured fifty of the rearguard, among them a slave woman, named Dinah, to whom he gave her freedom. Lamberton and Samuel Allen, sons of Samuel, Sr., killed by Indians at Deerfield, in August, 1746, and the family of their deceased brother, Enoch, (except the youngest son, Heman, afterwards of Milton, Vt.) came early. Samuel had escaped from Indian captivity and later served in the Continental army."**

1781

 

 


 

1781

February 23, 1781
"Alburgh, Vt., received its charter. Its first settlers were from St. Johns in Lower Canada who had fled there as Loyalists from the states during the Revolution."**


July 1, 1781

" 'J. Sherwood [Capt. Justus Sherwood, Queens Loyal Rangers] writes from Dutchman's Farm to Capt. Matthews [Secretary to Gen. Frederick Haldimand, commander British forces, Canada] with reference to the location and erection of the Block House (afterwards known as the Loyal Block House). He states that there are with him "23 men including old men, Boys, and unincorporated Loyalists.'--Canadian Archives"**

October
19, 1781
The American Revolution effectively ends with the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown.

1783

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1783

January 18, 1783
"The first deed recorded in Grand Isle is one from William Williams to Capt. Jedediah Hyde of Norwich, Conn., of a lot of land. The first surveys were made in that year and the first settlers were Col. Ebeneezer Allen, Lambertin Allen and Alexander Gordon about the same time..."**


March 6, 1783

"Capt. Twiss is directed by "R.M." in a letter written from Quebec to purchase horses and sleds from the Loyalists who have arrived with them at the Loyal Block House and cannot return on account of bad ice."**

September 3, 1783
"Calm, hazy morning. Got the cattle on board, and rowed over onto the island [Grand Isle], where I found father [Capt. Jedediah Hyde], Mr. Bestow, Major Goodrich, Col. Pearl, Capt. Wheeler, Dr. Lee, and a large number of others at Col. Allen's. [Col. Ebenezer Allen's home at the southwestern end of the island, now known as Allen's Point] They all set off for the blockhouse, and went to the east side of the island... Col. Allen welcomed us to Our Bay, which was christened Hyde's Harbor."
1

The Treaty of Paris is signed. With this document the Crown recognized the independence of the American colonies.  As a result of this treaty, vast territories were ceded by Great Britain and a new nation was officially recognized- The United States of America.

The New Nation
October 23, 1783
"Vergennes at the head of navigation on Otter Creek, was 'incorporated with city privileges, being 480 by 400 rods in extent.' Donald M'Intosh, a veteran of Culloden, who had come to this country with Wolfe in 1766, made the first settlement within the present city limits. M'Intosh died July 14, 1803, aged 84 years."**


Winter 1783-1784

From the History of Grand Isle 2 : "Nearly all of our oldest citizens agree that Col. Allen [Ebenezer], Lamberton Allen, and Alexander Gordon were the first white settlers of the island [Grand Isle], and that during the first winter of their residence here, they, with their families, constituted the sole inhabitants of the island."

1784

 

 

 

 

 

1784

February 21, 1784
"At Westminster Gen. Ethan Allen was married to Mrs. Fanny Buchanan, "a lady possessing in an eminent degree, every graceful qualification requisite to render the hymeneal bonds felicitous." From this union there were three children, Ethan Voltaire, Hannibal, and Fanny, who became a nun, and died in the Hotel Dieu in Montreal. Fanny Allen Hospital in Burlington perpetuates her name."**

April
15, 1784

"Gov. Chittenden wrote from Arlington to Gen. Haldimand asking him, since Peace had been established and the Loyal Block House [at Dutchman's Point, now known as Blockhouse Point] would be evacuated as a British Post, to direct the Commanding Officer there to inform the governor of the time of evacuation "that an Officer from this state may take Possession thereof."** [The British actually maintained this blockhouse in what we now know as North Hero, until 1794- well after the Colonies attained independence! For more information, click HERE and see the entry on this page for 1791. jpm]

December
26, 1784

"Col. Seth Warner died in his native parish of Woodbury (now Roxbury) Conn. His services in the patriot army resulted in early death. Connecticut has erected to his memory a substantial granite monument with this inscription on its north side: 'Captor of Crown Point, Commander of the Green Mountain Boys in the repulse of Carlton at Longueil and in the Battle of Hubbardton; and the associate of Stark, in the victory at Bennington.' "**

1785

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1785

From the History of Grand Isle 3 : "... a road was cut... from Lamberton Allen's house, in this town [Grand Isle], to Col. Ebenezer Allen's house, in South Hero, which was wide enough to admit the passage of a pair of oxen."

April 4, 1785
"The two tracts of land obtained by Zephaniah Platt and associates were incorporated into a town called PLATTSBURGH, by a special act of the legislature. At that time it embraced all of Plattsburgh Old Patent, Frizwell's Patent, and Cumberland Head Patent.

"At the close of the war I had purchased a few class rights of the soldiers and having collected a little something, set out for the woods, and after viewing several places I set down on the west side of Lake Champlain, an entirely new country and wilderness and called the town Plattsburgh." Charles Platt in letter to Dr. Samuel Jenner of Northfield, Mass. **

 June 15, 1785
"The legal birthday of Plattsburgh when the first town meeting was held at the house of Judge Charles Platt, brother of Judge Zephaniah Platt. The first officers then elected were Charles Platt, supervisor, and Zaccheus Newcomb, Nathaniel Platt Rogers, commissioners of highways, who very soon laid out the several public highways which remains the principal roads to this day."**

April
27, 1785

"Zephaniah Platt as agent for the company formed in Poughkeepsie went to New York city for necessary supplies. Six and a half days were required to go up the Hudson with batteaux to Fort Edward and from there seventeen loads of supplies were driven by oxen to Lake George, where boats were again used. After four miles of cartage to Lake Champlain, the supplies were floated to their destination, the total expense of the trip being £140 and 7 shilling."**

1786

November 27, 1786
"The first girl born at North Hero- Dame Knight, a daughter of John Knight. To Enos Wood was born the first boy, to whom the name of Adin was given."**

1787

February 28, 1787
"Patents were granted to Zephaniah Platt for the "Little Location," of 6,600 acres and for Isle St. Michael (Crab Island)."**

November
10, 1787

"In a 'frame house low on the ground' at Burlington, John Boynton, one of a family of nine, seven boys and two girls, was born. His father had come a pioneer, about 1780, from New Hampshire through an almost unbroken wilderness, bringing his family on horseback. The father and all the sons were among the first engaged in navigation on Lake Champlain for the transportation of merchandise and passengers."**

1788

October 21, 1788
"The Two Heroes was divided into North and South Hero. In 1783, Enos Wood from Bennington and Solomon Wood, with his wife and one child, from Norwich, Conn., came to North Hero in mid-winter and commenced a settlement, suffering much privation and hardship. The town was organized in 1789, with Nathan Hutchins, who lived to the age of ninety, as town clerk. The garrison in the blockhouse which the British had built at Dutchman's Point, was not withdrawn until 1796. In 1799, the bilious fever was very mortal and the next year Solomon Wood and his son-in-law, William Lawrence, removed to Chazy Landing. In 1810, Wood again removed, this time to Hemmingford, Canada, returning to the United States on the outbreak of the war. His property was confiscated by the British government and his son Amasa served with conscription papers, but succeeded in escaping before being mustered into service."**

1789

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1789

February 10, 1789
"Ethan Allen, being short of hay on account of a partial failure of crops the preceding summer, with his ox-sled and pair of horses and his black man for a driver, crossed the ice to Allen's Point, South Hero, to the house of his friend, Col. Ebenezer Allen, who had promised him a supply. His host having invited a number of old acquaintances to spend the afternoon and evening Allen was induced to remain until morning although the hay was already loaded."**
February
11

"This morning Gen. Allen got upon the load of hay and his black man drove towards home, the Indian Rock farm. Several times he called back to his master and though receiving no answer thought nothing of it until his arrival when the General was found to be unconscious in a fit of apoplexy."**
February
12

"General Allen died at his farm near "Indian Rock," Burlington."**

February
16

"Gen. Allen's remains were interred with the honors of war in the grave yard at Winooski Falls, (Green Mount Cemetery) his military friends from Bennington and all the surrounding country assembling to do him honor. Ira Allen, his youngest brother, arrived in Burlington on the day of Ethan's death and wrote of it to their brother Levi, then in London."**

1790

"...Boardman and Wilcox built a sloop of thirty tons burden on the Winooski River, modelled [sic] after the New London type, which was greatly superior to any craft on the lake. After mills and a forge had been erected at Winooski this boat was used in carrying provisions to Plattsburgh."4
May 19, 1790
Israel Putnam, of Roger's Rangers and a hero of the Revolution, dies.

1791

March 4, 1791
Vermont is admitted to the Union as the 14th state.

June 20, 1791
Despite the fact that Vermont has been admitted to the union, British forces remain stationed on Vermont (and US soil), and British warships still sail Lake Champlain. Witness this account from the Vermont Gazette (Bennington) [quoted from Taylor]: " 'The post at Point au Fer [New York], formerly garrisoned with a sub-altern's guard, is now augmented to a Captain's, and that on Dutchman's Point (on North Hero) [Blockhouse Point, Vermont] where formerly a corporal and four men were stationed, is reinforced by a sergeant and twelve; the Maria, likewise, which for a long time past, has lain opposite Point au Fer with four guns on board, has received her full metal, together with a company of marines, with her nettings, etc., complete as in time of war. The Maria and the post at Point au Fer is five miles, and the post on Dutchman's Point twelve miles, this side the northern line of Vermont.' "
5
November
3, 1791

"Incorporation of the University of Vermont, for which Ira Allen had given a site of fifty acres covered with valuable pine trees and 4,000 pounds in money. The president's house was completed in 1799, its officers appointed in 1800, and the college building begun in 1801."**

1792

The Northern Inland Lock Navigation Company secures a charter to construct a canal between Lake Champlain and the Hudson River.
March
27, 1792

"At a town meeting in North Hero John Hutchins, Benj. Butler and John Martin were appointed a committee to raise money for building a canal across the "Carrying Place" but were unsuccessful."**


May
25, 1792

"At Panton, Vt., Hiram Ferris was born. He was the first steamboat pilot on the lake, taking the helm of the old Vermont, when she was launched in 1818, and serving as steamboat pilot until 1859, just half a century. During that period the served as pilot on every boat in the Champlain Transportation Company without encountering a single serious accident. The rocky reef opposite Port Kent was discovered by him an bears his name. Between 1825 and 1830, he settled in Chazy, [NY] and that was his home until 1874 when he went to Wisconsin."**

1793

February 1793
"It was in the month of February, while Congress was enacting laws by which Vermont was to become a member of the Union, that Prince Edward, the fourth son of George the third, then a young man of twenty-four, afterwards the Duke of Kent, and father of Queen Victoria, passed through the Champlain Valley. He had been in command of a regiment at Quebec and was now on his way to Boston. Arriving at Chazy with a large party, he crossed in thirteen carryalls and sleighs on the ice to Grand Isle and thence to Burlington, remaining until the third day. At that time there were but seven frame houses in the town and that of Phineas Loomis (site south-west corner of William Street), a large oak framed two story dwelling house just completed and surrounded by the original forest was the only one at which the Prince and his wife could be entertained. At Burlington the teamsters were dismissed to return to Canada and others engaged to take the Prince to Boston. The lady accompanying him, with whom he always conversed in French, started for New York, the two to meet, it was understood, in the West Indies. Before parting the Prince saw that the fur robes were tucked snugly about the traveller while a large dog lay at her feet."**

Spring 1793
The Dolphin and the Burlington Packet, each 25-tons burden, are constructed at the foot of King Street, Burlington.
6

1794

February 10, 1794
"...Lord Dorchester, then governor-general of Canada, publicly declared that he would not be surprised if there should be war with the United States in the course of that year; and the movements of the British troops in Canada and events in the states both inclined to support that opinion." 7
October
6

"The first marriage in Grand Isle- that of Willard Gordon (a great grandson of Alexander, the immigrant from Scotland), and Clarissa, daughter of Libean Armstrong of Bennington, took place."**

1795

"...a thirty-ton sloop known as the Lady Washington was built at the same yard [King Street Dock, Burlington] by Russell Jones. Notwithstanding her patriotic name, it is said that the vessel had a false bulkhead, and became notorious as a smuggling craft...There were no wharves at Burlington at that time, and it was possible for some vessels to enter the Cove and make fast to trees on the shore. Some cargoes were thrown overboard from vessels too heavily laden to come within several rods of the beach, and floated ashore, Fittock [Richard] owned a lighter to bring ashore goods that needed to be handled more carefully than pork, beef and liquors."8

1796

April 5, 1796
"It was voted "that ten dollars be paid by the inhabitants of Peru for every wolf killed within the town of Peru in the present year, said wolf to be a full Grone wolf and fresh killed."**

In accordance with the provisions of Jay's Treaty of "Amity Commerce and Navigation", British forces are withdrawn from their posts on the shores of Lake Champlain at Point au Fer {New York] and Dutchman's Point [Vermont], thus ending a long and irritating presence on American soil.

1797

April 15, 1797
"At South Hero Island, were married William Slosson, son of Eleazer and Lucy Slosson, and Susannah Stark, a relative of Gen. Stark. They settled on a farm south of Chazy village, in 1807. On the advance of the British, William Slosson with his team was pressed into service to carry baggage to Plattsburgh. On the retreat of the enemy our militia captured five British soldiers and six horses while the British "gobbled up" Mr. Slosson and held him prisoner over one night."**

1798

November 7, 1798
"South Hero was a second time divided and the northern part named Middle Hero. Timothy Pearl, Jedediah Hyde, and Daniel Samson, all from Connecticut, came soon after 1785. Then Wesson Macomber, Daniel Hoag and James Tobias came from Dutchess county, N.Y. Macomber and Hoag cleared the land, sowed winter wheat, built log houses and returned to their old homes for the winter. In the spring of 1787, they brought their families by boat. Ezra Kinney arrived from Connecticut when but two houses had been built. Grinday Reynolds brought a family of ten children. By 1801, the Friends on the island had organized a meeting and a log meeting house was built on the shore near the Mosher Hoag (now Vantine) place, and this was also used as a school. At the time of the battle on Cumberland bay, the Friends, at the regular hour, gathered in this building to hold 'first day services,' apparently oblivious to the roar of battle from three to six miles away, since their faith prevented any participation in the conflict."**

1799


April 19, 1799

" Charles Barnard, son of Joseph and Margaret (Moore) Barnard, born on Cumberland Head in a house on the Benjamin Mooers property. As a boy of fifteen, he witnessed the battle of Plattsburgh and during the engagement a cannon ball passed through his home. After the battle Gen. Mooers took him, a barefoot boy, on board some of the American vessels where the blood upon the deck spattered upon his feet."**

1801

June 14, 1801
"Benedict Arnold, the traitor, died in London."**

1802


January 25, 1802

"At Isle La Motte died Samuel Fisk, son of the Rev. Ichabod and Eleanor Roberts Fisk who came from Poultney, Vt., to the island in 1788. Samuel Fisk married Polly Scott and built the stone house-- the Fisk homestead-- now on the island."**

November 1, 1802
"The name of Isle La Motte was changed to Vineyard. This year Caleb Hill of Granville came to the island and at once began fitting tracts of wild land for market, establishing highways and building schoolhouses. He ran the first ferry from Isle La Motte to Alburgh, receiving a grant from the Vermont legislature in the winter of 1805-6 for the operation of same. This remained in the hands of his descendants and was used until the building of the bridge in 1882. Mr. Hill was captain of a company of Vermont State Militia which helped guard the frontier during the war."**

1803

May 10, 1803
"In Shelburne, Vt. the boy afterwards known as "Captain Dan Lyon" was born. A lad of five when the steamboat Vermont was launched at Burlington in 1808, he could remember the first steamboat on the lake and her quaint captain, John Winans. When Dan Lyon grew up, he, too, became a "captain," and commanded successively the
General Green, Phoenix No. 2, Winooski, and Whitehall, retiring about 1844, and spending his latter years in Burlington."**

September 11, 1803
"Birth of Samuel Boardman, youngest son of Hezekiah, a brother of Benjamin. Samuel became a merchant and built the sandbar bridge from Milton to Grand Isle, Vt. He died in 1853."**

1806

 

 

January 1, 1806
"Gen. Benj. Mooers, his home being then on Cumberland Head near the mouth of Dead Creek, gave as a New Year's gift to his negro girl "Ann" her freedom.**" [There were slaveholders in the North Country. jpm]

March
26, 1806

"In Burlington, whither he had removed about 1800, died Col. Ebenezer Allen, the first settler of South Hero, after the grant of the "Two Heroes" in 1779. Col. Allen was a third cousin of Gen. Ethan Allen, an early settler in the New Hampshire Grants at Bennington and Poultney, and a Revolutionary soldier under Allen, Warner, Herrick and Gates."**

1807

May 2, 1807
"Elijah Root was born in the town of Georgia, Vt. Compelled to depend entirely upon himself, he early learned the ship's carpenter trade and later, became engineer of the "
Phoenix," on which boat in 1832 (the year of the Cholera) while at Whitehall, occurred the first death in this country from that dreadful disease. It was due chiefly to Mr. Root's example and firmness that the panic-stricken crew were kept together. During forty-three years (1838 to 1881) Mr. Root held the government office of Inspector of Boilers and machinery on all vessels propelled in whole or in part by steam. He died at Shelburne, Vt. in 1883."**

May
28

"John Ransom who, with his sons for many years kept hotel near the first steamboat landing at Cumberland Head, died. It was at his wharf "Ransom's Landing" that the early boats, the
Vermont and Phoenix stopped; here also, John Jacob Astor on his way to buy furs in Canada, was a guest once an entire week."**

1808

 

 

 

 

1808

 

The Steamboat Era begins

The world's second successful steamboat is launched at Burlington.  Builders James and John Winans and J. Lough build and launch the 120 foot, 167 ton Vermont only a year after Fulton's Clermont is launched on the Hudson.

"The Vermont was launched sidewise, was stuck in the sand, and it was some time before the boat was floated. She was 120 feet long, 20 feet wide and of 167 tons burden. There was only one room below the Vermont's deck, twenty-five by eighteen feet in size, fitted with berths along the side. A second hand engine of twenty horsepower furnished the means of locomotion, and travel by this craft was very uncertain, owing to numerous breakdowns." 9

June 25, 1808
"The revenue cutter was stolen from under the eyes of the government officers who were guarding Windmill Point. Judge Hicks, deputy of Champlain, was waylaid while in the performance of his duties and told to prepare for death. A large bateau called the
Black Snake with a crew of desperate men engaged in smuggling, gave a great deal of trouble."**

August 3, 1808
"Conflict on the Onion River near Winooski between the "
Black Snake," a large bateau commanded by Samuel J. Mott of Alburgh with a crew of seven desperate men engaged in smuggling, and the revenue cutter "Fly" under Lieut. Farrington (who was wounded in the fight) and a crew of militiamen, two of whom were killed with one of the smugglers."**

1809

 

 

 

 

1809

June, 1809
"... there was great excitement in Burlington and other towns on the lakeshore for was not the boat that since last year, the brothers Winan had been a-building under the "Oak Tree" at the foot of King street and which had been launched sideways into the water, about to make her first trip? John Winans, her captain had been on board the
Clermont when she made her first trip and had been deeply interested. The first Vermont resembled little her namesake of 1909. She was built without guards, with flush decks and no pilot house, being steered by a tiller. Only a smokestack showed above the deck for her second-hand, 20 horse-power horizontal engine., bought in Albany, was below. The Vermont was larger than the Clermont. Her length was 120 feet with one room about 25x18 feet, fitted with berths and serving also as a dining room. But she was the first vessel propelled by steam on Lake Champlain and the second in the whole world and as such was a wonder. Her round trip from Whitehall to St. Johns consumed about a week and her appearance was eagerly awaited in the quiet settlements along the shore."**

"The Vermont was scheduled to make the trip from Whitehall to St. Johns in twenty-four hours, but the round trip usually consumed nearly a week. In moderate weather the Vermont could make five miles an hour, but with a stormy wind "Admiral" King's sloops could pass her easily. Naturally there was a strong rivalry between the sailing vessels and the new steamer, and much ridicule for the frequent accidents suffered by the Winans' boat." 10
October
15, 1809

"Mr. Samuel Southby Bridge, an English merchant engaged in the exportation of Turpentine, in an account of his journey through the Champlain valley, says that his party 'arrived at the line at half-past five, over which no vessel is permitted to pass, the Non-Intercourse (Act) being now in force.' They landed at Rouses Point and walked half a mile to the small hut or inn, kept by Jacob Rouse, a captain of militia, where the night was passed."**

1810

November 5, 1810
" The name of Middle Hero changed to Grand Isle. An early settler was Stephen Pearl, who had been an unsuccessful merchant in Pawlet, Vt. But, in 1794, he removed to Burlington, occupying the house, built by Frederick Saxton in 1789 and standing at the head of the street afterwards named Pearl. It was the first frame house in the place and is still standing. Pearl was made sheriff of Chittenden County of which Grand Isle was then a part and held that office for many years. The Friends had much to do with shaping the early history of Grand Isle. The first to come and remain was Jonathan Griffith, of Po'keepsie, about 1784. With him came his son Seth, who became prominent in the Society and affairs of the town, teaching in the school which the Friends maintained. His maternal uncle, Ephraim Dual, made early surveys but preferred living at Missisquoi Bay on the Canadian side, 'under his king.' A frame house built by Jonathan Griffith is still in use. Seth built a large house on the rise of ground one-half mile from the lake and opposite Cumberland Head. He was a nursery-man and many of the apple, pear and other fruit trees of the Valley were grown from the seed (and grafted) in his nursery."**

1811

September 19, 1811
" Sloop
Essex, Anthony Rock, Abraham Walters, Joseph Barron, Levy Nichols, masters, made her sixth and last trip for the season."**

Sources/Notes:

** THREE CENTURIES IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY: A COLLECTION OF HISTORICAL FACTS AND INCIDENTS- TERCENTENARY EDITION. 1909: Compiled and Edited by Mrs. George Fuller Tuttle. Saranac Chapter, D.A.R. Plattsburgh, NY.
1
Jedediah Hyde, Jr. (Journal) Extract from- Abby Maria Hemenway: The Vermont Historical Gazetteer, Vol II. 1871. Burlington, Vermont. 520
2
Abby Maria Hemenway: The Vermont Historical Gazetteer, Vol II. 1871. Burlington, Vermont. 520, 521
3
Ibid., 521

4
  Walter Hill Crockett, A HISTORY OF LAKE CHAMPLAIN- THE RECORD OF THREE CENTURIES, 1609-1909. 1909. Burlington, Vermont: Hobart J. Shanley & Co. 258
5
Ibid., 258
6
Daniel T. Taylor, The Shores of Champlain. 1979. Champlain, NY: Moorsfield Press. Originally appeared in the Champlain Counselor [1892]. Reprinted c. 1937 in the North Countryman.

7
 History of Franklin and Grand Isle Counties Vermont. 1891. Edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich: Syracuse, N.Y. D. Mason & Co. Publishers. 633
8
Walter Hill Crockett, A HISTORY OF LAKE CHAMPLAIN- THE RECORD OF THREE CENTURIES, 1609-1909. 1909. Burlington, Vermont: Hobart J. Shanley & Co. 258,259
9
Ibid., 261
10
Ibid., 261

This is the conclusion of TIMELINE, Part V  Between the Wars: Peacetime in the New Nation.

   
The TIMELINE continues HERE

*America's Historic Lakes is a favorite of educators around the world. You can feel confident that the material
on this site is accurate, well-researched, properly cited and presented.

Creative Commons License
America's Historic Lakes by James P. Millard and Guest Contributors is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

 Privacy Policy


James P. Millard
Post Office Box 262
South Hero, Vermont 05486-0262
contact@historiclakes.org

Terms of Service and Disclaimer of Liability

The historical information on this web site is provided as a public service by James P. Millard. I  have attempted to be as accurate as possible in my presentation of this historical material. However, I make no claims, guarantees or promises about the accuracy, currency, or completeness of the information provided. In no event shall the publisher; James P. Millard, be liable for any errors or omissions with respect to any information on this site. Material submitted by guest contributors and published on the site is the property of the contributor and may be removed at any time at my discretion or upon request of the contributor. This website occasionally provides links to sites of other organizations maintained by third parties. These links do not constitute an endorsement of the content, viewpoint, accuracy, opinions, policies, products, services, or accessibility of that website. Links to third-party websites are provided as a public service and convenience to users of our site; James P. Millard/America’s Historic Lakes does not control, endorse or recommend the content on sites we may link to. Once connected to another website, you are subject to the terms and conditions of that website.